I hope there is none who is not aware of this yummy vada that accompanies steaming hot idlis in any hotel, right? Yes, these are yum yum vadas that are prepared in any hotel and not to forget, one of the most favourite breakfasts in south India. Actually, my all time favourite 😉 Hotels serve them shaped with a hole in the center!
- Urad dal 1 cup
- Green chillies 2
- Coriander leaves finely chopped handful
- Ginger 1 inch
- Onion 1 (optional)
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- Wash the urad dal thoroughly and soak it in clean water for an hour
- Finely chop the chillies, ginger, coriander leaves, onion and keep aside
- Now, grind the urad dal into a fine thick batter without using any water in a mixer grinder
- To the fine urad dal batter add chillies, ginger, coriander leaves, onion and salt and give it a nice mix
- Take a deep bottom pan, pour in enough oil for deep fry and heat it
- Once the oil is heated up, take the ready batter as per step 4, make small round balls out of it and drop it carefully into the hot oil
- Deep fry in medium flame until it turns out crispy, golden brown.
- Follow this step and finish off the entire batter
- The Vadas are ready to be served with chatni/sambar .. slurrp!
- The batter should be thick else the vadas will turn out oily.
- You can skip onions when you are a beginner since onions tend to leave its juice and makes the batter a little gooey.
- For making the traditional vadas with a hole in the center; keep a bowl of clean water, dip your hands in it, take a small amount of batter, make a small hole in the center using the thumb of the same hand and drop it into the hot oil. Ensure not to add onion for this method.