‘Jingle Bells Jingle Bells Jingle All the Way…” – yes you got it right. It’s Christmas time. This festive season is famous for the nuts-dry fruits delight; rich plum cake. I hope you all know that Plum cake is made by soaking the dry fruits in RUM! Being vegan, I was looking for some tried and tested recipes in various food blogs. So, after going through couple of recipes, thought as always, Akila has some beautiful skills and why not go for her recipe with here and there tweaks 😛 Here I present my version of Plum Cake with no egg n no rum and only richness in every bite 🙂
- Chopped dry fruits [figs, raisin, tutti fruity] 3/4 Cup
- Orange crush 3/4 cup
- Lemon crush 1/4 cup
- Oil 1/3 cup
- Sugar 3/4 cup+1 tbsp
- Orange zest 1 tsp
- Lemon zest 1 tsp
- Whole wheat flour 1 cup
- All purpose flour 1/2 cup
- Baking soda 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 tsp
- Warm water 1/2 cup
- Chopped nuts [ cashews, almonds] 1/4 cup
- Egg substitute**[see notes] 1
- Put the chopped dry fruits in a tall glass and pour the Orange crush, lemon crush over it and give it a nice mix. Keep this mixture to soak for 1-2 Hrs(I have soaked it for 2.5 Hrs)
- Sieve the wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder for 3 times and keep it aside.
- Mix Oil, sugar and water and beat it well until the sugar dissolves
- Now add Orange zest, Lemon zest and 1 Egg substitute to this mixture and beat well
- Pour in the Chopped dry fruits in Orange crush mix to this mixture and mix well Now, slow and steadily start adding the sieved flour mix to this wet mix and mix them well by following cut and fold method.
- Keep folding until no lumps are seen.
- Add the nuts and give a quick mix
- Now, grease and line the baking dish with a parchment paper and pour the batter to it
- Preheat the oven for 180 C and bake the cake at 160 C for 45 mins
- Remove the cake from the baking dish only after 20 mins of removing from heat and keep it on cooling rack
Let it completely cool down to slice it and relish 🙂
The cake was too good… The taste is still lingering on my tongue.
1 Egg Substitute – Mix 1 and 1/2 tsp of cornflour, pinch of baking soda, pinch of baking powder and 2 tbsp of water. Make this mix only when you are about to use it. OR reduce water to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup yogurt/curd. Use medium temp and long duration to cook this cake. Always ensure you use a proper size tin for your bakes. The batter should be filled only half the tin.
Recipe adapted from morphyandme