One of my favorite bakery savory dish is Potato stuffed buns also known as masala bun. The aromatic bun is a second try by me after tutti fruity bread. The reason is very simple, the technique of kneading and proofing was very clear to me which is the base for baking good tasty buns. So, here I present the lovely potato stuffed buns 🙂
- Boiled, peeled and mashed potato – 500 gm
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 1 tbsp
- Chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Yeast – 2 tsps
- Water – 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
- All purpose flour(for dusting) – 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour – 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 6 tbsps
- Salt – 1 1/2 tsps
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 5 tbsps
For Stuffing –
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, green chillis, coriander, salt and turmeric and stir well.
- Add potatoes and red chilli powder and cook for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and make small balls of it for stuffing.
For Bun –
- Heat water in a vessel on the stove top till it is mild hot.
- To a tall glass add 1 tbsp sugar and yeast.
- To this put the Luke warm water and give it a quick stir
- Let the Yeast raise for 10 minutes
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl
- Add milk, oil, yeast mixture to this
- Using a strong spatula mix the batter consistently, yet hold and steady till all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and a sticky dough is formed
- To a clean table/ kitchen counter, sprinkle some flour and drop the sticky dough
- Knead the dough for 12 mins [press the dough -> push -> pull it together using your palm] to develop gluten
- Finish of the dough with a sprinkle of flour to lift up the dough and put it back to the bowl for raising
- After it doubles in size, punch down the air and knead the dough again on the kitchen counter for 5 mins
- Divide the bread into big balls and form a cup shape, then fill the stuffing and cover the cup and touch your fingers in cold water which sealing the edges (similar to paratha suffing)
- On the baking tray let it sit for 20 mins in a warm place
- Bake this on a preheated oven at 200 C for 20 mins till golden brown
No one can eat just one 🙂 🙂